February 27, 2009

Welcome

Hello, and welcome to my blog!

I created this blog as part of an assignment for my Women's Studies: Gender, Sexuality, and Space course. However, I have every intention of continuing this blog well after the completion of this course, because the issues that I wish to discuss here do not just start and stop within the timeline of a university class. I believe that the damaging and controlling effects of gendered spaces are felt by each and every individual on this earth, therefore I hope that this blog will provide a critical examination of such spaces and how we can go about changing their impact.

What do I mean by gendered spaces? Well, to be general, a gendered space is any space or place which has both visible and hidden expectations, rules, and guidelines for men and women (usually different), detailing "appropriate" behaviour and actions. Gendered spaces reinforce gender roles and stereotypes, and help to preserve existing norms and boundaries of society. A more detailed explanation and picture of gendered spaces will appear in the subsequent posts that follow this one, but I hope that this brief explanation will be sufficient for the time being!

Thanks again for visiting my blog - Hope you Enjoy!

Sincerely,
Erica Van Driel

No comments:

Post a Comment