March 11, 2009

Gendered Gyms

So I just got home from the gym this morning, and lo-and-behold, what did I discover? The gym is a gendered space! What first drew my attention to this fact was the amount of couples working out together - they were everywhere! I suppose I should note that the couples I noticed were heterosexual couples....because judging from what I've seen of PEI so far, there would be a pretty intense backlash if a gay or lesbian couple were showing their affection for one another at the gym on campus. Which brings me to my second point - when did it become appropriate to kiss, fondle, smack bottoms, etc. with your significant other at the gym?? I thought we were supposed to be working out, not making out...maybe I missed the memo on that one.

The gym as a gendered space also got me thinking about the "women only" gyms that have popped up over the past few years - Just Ladies Fitness and Curves to name a few. What is the purpose of these women-only gyms? Are they there because women become too self-conscious when working out in the presence of men? Are women more comfortable surrounded by only other women? These questions are of great interest to me, therefore I am now making it my personal mission to find out some more information on these gendered gyms, and why they continue to be maintained as such! More to follow soon...

Thanks for reading,
Erica

1 comment:

  1. Hey Erica! this is Jen from TwiCrack Addict. You'd left a comment on my blog...I think that I may have a little tip on where the cast is staying if you felt like doing some celebrity stalking. I could be dead wrong though. Email me if you're interested -- I'd love to see your pics and hear your story if you do get to meet the cast! twicrackaddict at gmail.com

    ReplyDelete