March 14, 2009

How Aging Changes the Experience of Gendered Spaces

It's no secret that gendered spaces include domestic zones - such as the kitchen, laundry/sewing room, workshop, etc. I came across this great blog the other day that contains posts on gendered spaces and technologies, and found it absolutely fascinating what some of the authors had to say. I thought them so great in fact, that I thought I would share the links with you to read further. I think they're definitely worth a look!

This post deals with a woman's experience with her aging Great Uncle, as she witnesses his struggle to master the domestic sphere after the passing of his wife. She explains that he didn't even know how to use a toaster, microwave, or oven until she and her family intervened. This post is really moving and is a perfect illustration of gendered spaces at work in our lives.

http://gandt.blogs.brynmawr.edu/web-papers/writing-groups/gendered-spaces/

Cheers,
Erica

No comments:

Post a Comment